Valentine's Day? Self Love Day!
A commercial feast is what most people think. Secretly, we're not that fond of Valentine's Day either. Why wouldn't you let your sweetheart know every day what you think of him or her? Rather focus this Valentine's Day on yourself. Self love is the word of this month, maybe even of 2020!
We already mentioned it in the Beauty Buzz: self love (and self care) are all about 2020. If we look at the Google results on self care, they have risen by 100% in the past five years. The word 'self love' is one of the biggest cultural phenomena of the last decade.
You owe it to yourself
Because in the madness and hustle and bustle of everyday life, it is sometimes quite difficult to take good care of yourself and do all other things at the same time. By paying attention to yourself every day and taking good care of yourself (physically and mentally), you automatically create more self-love. You also owe self-love to someone else. Because how can you love someone else if you don't even love yourself? But above all, you owe it to yourself.
Are you always there for someone else, but don't you ever have time for an evening alone? Or do you always say yes to a request when you don't feel like it? Or how about always celebrating someone else’s achievements, but never one of your own? If the answer to (one of) the above questions is 'yes', then you may invest more in self-love. These tips can help you!
5 tips for more self love
- Meditate. If you've never meditated, this is the perfect time to start. By this we don't mean sitting on the floor in a tailor's seat; meditating can also be done in the train or on the toilet. Start with two minutes a day and build it up to at least 10 minutes. An app can help you with this, like Headspace or Meditation Moments.
- Celebrate the small victories. Arrived on time at work? Celebrate it. Cooked dinner instead of ordering food? Celebrate it. Went to yoga class while it was pouring outside? Celebrate it. Celebrate the little victories, because they do matter!
- Hang loving reminders in your house. Do you ever consciously think about the way you communicate with yourself? Probably wave a lot of things away or don't find yourself important enough. Therefore, provide yourself with powerful, positive and loving reminders. Write them on post-its and hang them everywhere in your home, so that you are reminded of them every day.
- Say 'no' more often. If your colleague asks you for a request after 5 p.m., just say 'no'. You're probably busy enough already and if not, you deserve an extra long evening. You don't always have to justify yourself!
- Schedule a self-care day every week. Because nothing is as nice as pampering your skin, your body or your hair with the best products. You feel like you've been reborn! Do this on Sundays, for example, so that you can be totally glowy in the new week.
Self care with the right products
In 2020 mental health will become a greater focus for beauty brands. We are increasingly seeing the launch of products that calm you down, stimulate your senses and support your physical, mental and emotional well-being. In our webshop, you'll find what each product does to you in the product description. For example, ginger and lavender in Plant Apothecary's Calm Down Bodywash will help you relax after a long day. And the Concentrated Repair Balm from Soapwalla will repair any dry spots on your skin. Discover now what your favourite product does to you!